Monday, July 19, 2010

Summer Gardening

I am starting a new blog, because I miss blogging about my art room adventures. So welcome to the adventures of the rest of my life. A good place to start is my garden, which is taking up some of my summer hours. It is easily the best garden I have ever tended to (and I have had more than a few) Not sure if it is the imported mushroom soil, the new location, or maybe I'm just getting better at it? Whatever the case, there are many wonderful things happening there! My husband and I planted zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, green and yellow beans, peas, radishes, lettuces, red corn (yes, red) (which my little boy picked out) japanese(?) eggplant, basil and a variety of flowers. The butternut squash planted itself and it taking over a large portion of the yard next to the compost. The worst problem I have encountered have been large, squishy, yellow aphids (also known as a variety of unmentionable names) that almost decimated my beans. But I discovered them in time, it seems and have been on a killing mission ever since. The best defense against these nasty beasts is to squish them between your thumb and forefinger. They squirt yellow ick and hopefully this evokes terror in their peers. Finally some yellow ladybugs (?) and wasps have come to my aid and have been dining on these awful creatures the past few days. Anyway, have a look at the pictures. You can see my little guy with some cherry tomatoes. Nice face!






No comments:

Post a Comment